DIGITAL LOCKS VS. COMBINATION DIAL
YOU CANNOT DO A COMPARISON BETWEEN DIGITAL LOCKS AND COMBINATION LOCKS!!
You must compare a specific digital lock with a specific combination lock. In most cases, if you compare a $25 digital lock with a $125 combination lock the combination lock will be more secure and more reliable than the digital lock. The same would apply to a $125 digital lock verses a $25 combination lock. Digital locks get a bad reputation due to the fact that many consumers will purchase cheap safes with cheap digital locks and soon find that they are having problems opening their safe. Then they blog and scare other consumers into not purchasing digital locks.
This is why Steelwater Gun Safes has done the research for you and matched the proper combination or digital lock with the construction of each different model of safe that they offer. Example: On the smaller gun safes we made sure that the digital lock did not lower the security of the actual construction of the safe. On the larger more secure safes we made sure we upgraded the combination and digital locks to ensure it did not affect the security of its more sturdy construction. Again, keep in mind that these safes were designed by a safe technician with 22 years of experience having security as the main objective and at the same time selling direct to the end user keeping the price within a certain budget that most consumers can afford.
THINGS TO BE AWARE OF WHEN PURCHASING A SAFE WITH A DIGITAL LOCK
1) Make sure the lock has a non-volatile memory. Without this the battery can be removed and there is a high possibility that the lock will revert back to the factory default combination allowing someone to open your safe within a few minutes without using any tools.
2) Make sure the memory board is stored inside the safe. If the memory board is located outside the safe within the keypad itself, there is a high possibility that the keypad can easily be removed and the battery can be used to “hotwire” the safe within a few minutes.
3) Be very careful when purchasing a digital lock with a “key bypass”. A key bypass system can be very useful when problems occur with the main lock such as a burglary attack, a lock malfunction, or even user error. The problem is that many safe companies use a cheap key lock that can be easily opened with conventional pick tools available to anyone who shops for them on the internet. Even the most high security key locks can be picked open but not very easily. They would require specialized tools that are not offered to the public and a high level of expertise would be needed.
This is why Steelwater Gun Safes uses double bitted high security key locks, non-volatile memory, and insures that the memory board is stored inside the safe whenever these features need to apply to a specific safe.
ADVANTAGES OF PURCHASING A REPUTABLE DIGITAL LOCK THAT STEELWATER GUN SAFES OFFERS
1) You will be able to program your own combination in the lock yourself. The turn style combination lock has to be set by Steelwater Gun Safes or a qualified technician to prevent the warranty from being voided. Changing the combination on a combination lock can cost you up to $150 each time you change it and the person who changes it will have access to the combination too.
2) It will it faster to access the contents of the safe and much less complicated to open the safe. You will be able to open your safe as quick and easy as dialing a phone number.
3) Steelwater Gun Safes has done the research for you and assures that the digital locks that are installed on the safe or added as an option will be as secure and reliable or more secure and reliable than the lock it replaces.